According to the American Moving & Storage Association, the majority of Americans move in the summer. Since moving season is upon us, The Franklin Report editors asked relocation guru Anthony Fiorin, owner of Extraordinary Movers, for his best advice. These were his tips:
1) Contact movers at least a month in advance. This gives you plenty of time to evaluate companies and pick the one that’s right for you.
2) Check that your movers are licensed and insured. You can verify this by asking them for their DOT and MC license numbers and confirming them with the Department of Transportation.
3) Don’t be afraid to request references and a tight estimate. I try not to go over or under 10% of my initial quote.
4) If you want to save money, pack your belongings yourself instead of having the movers do it for you. Most companies charge their regular hourly fees for packing in addition to a markup on packing materials.
5) Photograph everything before you start boxing it up. That will help you make sure that all your belongings made it to your new home.